Sunday, November 24, 2013

God Does not Change

The favorite argument of non-scholar Muslims is that Jesus is God, and therefore (any number of contradictions).

Here is one of them:

6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore you sons of Jacob are not consumed.
Malachi 3:6

The assertion is that Jesus (who is God) changed in that :
  • he became mortal, and God is immortal
  • Jesus did not know the day or the hour of his return, neither do the angels in heaven, but the Father does.

My suggestion is that this is taking the word "change" hyper-literally.

If I close my eyes, do I change?

If I change my shirt do I change?

I may have answers for the questions above, because I understand these concepts.  But when it comes to God, is it possible that he can take on a human nature and not change?

We really do not know enough about God to answer that, nor do we know what "change" means in this context.  It actually appears that in this context "change" refers to the principles of God, so that the Jews were not judged or destroyed through their disobedience and falling away.

No comments:

Post a Comment