Saturday, November 5, 2016

Do Christians worship Mary?

This question comes up because of the verse in the Quran:

God will say (on the Day of Resurrection): "O Jesus, son of Mary! Did you say unto men: ‘Take me and my mother as deities beside God?’"  He will say: "Glory be to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right (to say).  Had I said such a thing, You would surely have known it.  You know what is in my inner-self though I do not know what is in Yours; truly, You, only You, are the All-Knower of all that is hidden.  Never did I say to them except what You commanded me - worship God, my Lord and your Lord. And I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them, but when You took me up, You were the Watcher over them; and You are a Witness to all things.
(Quran 5:116-117)

Of course,  different Christians can do different things.  Some may worship Mary as a god.  But does the Bible permit worship of anyone but God?

Here are some verses that command against worship of any other than God:

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God
--Exodus 20:5

And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
--Luke 4:8

 And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man. And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
--Acts 12:22-23


And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things.
Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
--Revelation 22:8-9


No comments:

Post a Comment